Catagorize: Landmarks and Memorials
Phraya Phakdi Chumphon, formerly named “Lae”, was a citizen of Vientiane. He was in the service as a chaperone of the child of Chao Anouvong of Lan Chang Regime (then a dependency of Siam). In 1817, during the reign of King Rama II, Lae leaded people across Khong River to settle down in Ban Nam Khun Nong E-Charn (in Soong Noen District, Nakhon Rachasima Province). Later, they moved to settle in Ban Non Nam Orm, Ban Chi Long (in Muang Chaiyaphum District area) and paid tribute to Chao Anouvong, who appointed Lae “Khun Phakdi Chumphon” or an external army chief.
In 1822, the town was getting too crowed as the population increased, so Khun Phakdi Chumphon moved people to Ban Luang, which is located between Ban Nong Lod and Ban Nong Pla Thao, currently in Chaiyaphum area.
In 1824, a gold mine was found in Lam Huai Chad, out of Ban Luang area. Khun Phakdi Chomphon gave it to Chao Anouvong as a tribute and made a request to upgrade Ban Luang to a city (Muang). Chao Anouvong named the city “Muang Chaiphum” and promoted him “Phra Phakdi Chomphon”. However, Phra Phakdi Chumphon later asked for Muang Chaiyaphum to report to Muang Nakhon Rachasima and to make regular payments to Krungthep Maha Nakhon (Bangkok). As a result, King Buddha Loetla Nabhalai (King Rama II) promoted Ban Luang to “Muang Chaiyaphum” and appointed Phra Phakdi Chumphon (Lae) as “Phraya Phakdi Chumphon (Lae), while Vientaine was greatly upset.
In 1825, during the reign of King Rama III, Chao Anouvong revolted to Krungthep in order to gain independence by invading Nakhon Rachasima. His troop burnt the city down out of fear of being defeated (citation needed) then retreated to Vientiane. On the way back, the troop was disrupted by angry citizens who were being brought to Vientiane. While the troop was resting in Tung Samrid, Phraya Phakdi Chumphon moved his troop to join Khunying Mo and Rachasima people and attack Chao Anouvong’s army until they were defeated. Willing to take revenge on Phraya Phakdi Chumphon, Chao Anouvong travelled back to Muang Chaiphum, captured Phraya Phakdi Chumphon and had him executed under a tamarind tree by Pla Thao Canal.
The death of Phraya Phakdi Chumphon has been an important and memorable sacrifice for Chaiyaphum people. Later, they respectfully call him “Chao Phor Phaya Lae” and had a shrine built by Highway No. 225 (Chaiyaphum-Ban Kewa) at Ban Nong Pla Thao in Muang District, Chaiyaphum Province, where he was executed. In 1968, the public service rebuilt the shrine and named it “Phraya Phakdi Chumphon (Lae) Shrine”. In May each year, a ceremony is held to show respect to Chao Phor Phaya Lae for seven days, starting on the first Wednesday of the month. The “Ngan Boon Duen Hok” festoval is a big annual event for Chaiyaphum people. In 1975, the public service collaborated with vendors and Chaiyaphum people to build Phraya Phakdi Chumphon Munument in the middle of the public service center, which is located at the entrance to the city of Chaiyaphum.
Five Descendants of Phraya Phakdi Chumphon who became the governors of Chaiyaphum at a later time were all appointed “Phraya Phakdi Chumphon”. Chao Phor Phaya Lae remained in the position for four years and served as the governor of Muang Chaiphum for as long as ten years.