Contact: Mae Sot municipality, Amphoe Mae Sot, Tak
Wat Chumphon Khiri
Wat Chumphon Khiri is located at No. 616, Intarakhiri Road, Mae Sot Sub District, Mae Sot District, Tak Province. The temple has over 200 hundred years old. Inside the ubosot is situated an image of Buddha in Subduing Mara mudra, while the viharn is used to keep an ancient casket of over two hundred years old. The chedi, as recorded, was built in 1771. It is a replica of the Schwedagon Pagoda in Burma. The chedi was built from brick and was covered with clay. It is 20 metre tall and has a base with indented corners. The bumpa is decorated with tiles and gold patterns towards the top of the chedi, which is a tiered umbrella. There are also other 20 smaller gold chedis, surrounded by a low wall on all sides. Nearby, there is a viharn in which is situated a cement replica of the Phra Buddha Chinnarat Buddha image.
Wat Chumphon Khiri is under the care of Maha Nikai clergy. The temple covers an area of 1.8316 hectare. The north of the temple connects to Mae Sot stream, the south to a public mine, the east to an owned land and the west to a private property with title deed number 76 as evidence.
The temple is situated on a low land, with Mae Sot Stream on the northern side. It is surrounded by local villages and other buildings for dwelling. The 25 metre wide and 40 metre long ubosot was built in 1972. The sermon hall is 24 metre wide and 35 metre long and was built in 1983. There are five dwellings for monks, which are comprised of three wooden building, a cement-wooden building and another cement building. The sacred object of the temple is the main Buddha image in Subduing Mara mudra in the ubosot.
Wat Chumphon Khiri was built in 1771. It was originally called ‘Wat Klang (Central Temple)’ probably because of its location in the heart of the community. The temple was granted the Royal official recognition on March 12, 1961. The boundary marker area (the ubosot area) is 25 metre wide and 40 metre long. The monastic boundary inauguration took place on March 2, 1969. There are 21 monks and 10 novices staying at the temple.
From Mae Sot, take Highway No. 105. Once arrive at the traffic circle for the centre of Mae Sot, turn left into Prasat Vithi Road, which is a one-way drive. When arrive at Wat Arunyaket, take a U-turn into Intarakhiri Road. Drive straight to find the temple on your left.