Catagorize: National Parks & Marine Reserves
Contact: Amphoe Mueang, Satun Tel. +66 7478 3485
“Tarutao” is a word that was distorted from the word “Talotrao” in Malay language meaning a lot of gulf. Tarutao is a national park in the Andaman Season of AmphurMuang, Satul province. On the south of the park is only 4.8 kilometers from the Thailand- Malaysia border. It is the dream destination of the tourists since it is the center of the nature both inland and underwater. Under the water, it is the center of beautiful sea creatures including colourful corals. It consists of 51 small islands.
Tarutao National Park consists of 7 big islands which are Tarutao Island, Ardang Island, Rawee Island, Lipe Island, Klang Island, Batuang Island, Biszee Island which are divided into 2 main islands which are Tarutao Islands and Ardang-Rawee Islands.
Tarutao Island is the biggest island among these islands with the area of 152.01 square-kilometers. Most of the area consists of steep mountains, the highest mountain peak is 708 meters from the sea level. The islands on the east side consist of alternating mountains and beaches. On the west side consists of cliffs and low land at the back of the mountain. The important gulfs are such as Pantaemalaka Gulf, Son Gulf, Makham Gulf, Talohudang Gulf and Talohwow Gulf. The gulfs have canals and rivers flowing pass to the sea with a little low land on the north of the beach.
This area has the most amount of rainfall during September and is the hottest in April and lowest in June. The low season is during 16th May – 15th November of each year and the high season is during 16th November to 15th May.
How to travel here?
Airplane : Take the airplane from Bangkok to Hatyai then there are 2 options afterwards;
1. Take the bus to Kaset Market with THB 20 fee. When you arrive at Kaset Market, take the van Hatyai – Pakbara which is THB 100 per person.
2. Take the taxi which is around THB 1,500 – 1,800 per trip. It takes around 1-2 hour.
From Pakbara pier to the Tarutao National Park
1.Take the boat to Tarutao or Ardang- Lipe which leaves accordingly;
- From Pakbara pier to Tarutao island leaves at 11.30 a.m. and 1 p.m. with THB 700 for round trip.
- From Tarutao island to Ardang-Lipe Island. The boat leaves at 11.45 a.m. with THB 700 round trip.
- From Ardang- Lipe Island to Tarutao Island. The boat leaves at 9 a.m.
- From Tarutao Island to Pakbara pier. The boat leaves at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. (The fee is THB 1200 roundtrip from Pakbara to Ardang Island)