Catagorize: Landmarks and Memorials
Contact: Si Ayutthaya Road, Khwaeng Dusit, Khet Dusit, Bangkok Tel. -
The Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn, a monument of King Rama V, is located at the Royal Plaza, in front of AnantaSamakhom Throne Hall, Dusit District, Bangkok. During King Rama V’s reign, in 1908, Thai people cooperatively donated money to build this statue, costing around 200,000 baht.
The building of “the Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn” originally came from the King’s idea to builda grand plaza connecting the already completed Ratchadamnoen Road with the AnantaSamakhom Throne Hall which was constructing. Moreover, a year later was also the King’s great year. That year marked 40th anniversary of the King Rama V’s reign, the longest reign in Thai history at that time. Therefore, there should be a ceremony celebrating the special year of his coronation. King Rama V ordered the Crown Prince (King Rama VI) who was the regent at that time, to lead the organizing of the ceremony as he was still during his visit to Europe. The Crown Prince and the ministers decided to give Thai people a chance to join the ceremony, named “RajamangalaPisek Celebrations”, by allowing them to donate money to the King to spend as he wishes, a Thaitraditioncommonly known as “Tham Kwan.” The ministers also suggested the committee to build a monument to commemorate the King’s honor. As soon as the construction of the Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn finished, the committee presented it to King Rama V, on November 11, 1908.
King Rama VI later spent the remaining one million baht of the donated money on building Chulalongkorn University. Regarding the building of the statue, the King Rama V went to the sculpting to be the model himself. Therefore, the statue was sculpted in his actual size. However, the horse he rides in the statue was the horse statue the company had already prepared. The Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn was molded from bronze, placing on top of 6-meter-tall, 2-meter-wide and 5-meter-long marble stone. The statue was also guarded by a 9-meter-wide and 11-meter long chain fence. On the right side of the marble stone base, French letters of the names of the sculptor and the molder, C.MASSONSEULP1980 and G.PaupgStatuare, were inscribed. On the left side, the name of the company molding the statue, SUSSFFresFONDEURS.PARIS was inscribed. On the front of the marble stone, there was a metal plate of Thai letters telling the story of the King Rama V’s life and honor and ending with wishes for the King’s happiness and longevity.
For those who would like to visit the beauty of the Equestrian Statue of King Chulalongkorn, you can take buses no. 16,23,70,72,503, 505 and 509 to the plaza.