Catagorize: Landmarks and Memorials
Contact: Amphoe Mueang, Lampang Tel. -
The station was first operated in the reign of King Rama VI on 1 April, 1916, which was the Thai New Year’s Day of the time. The station was located at the end of Suren Road in the area of the Ban Sop Tui Intersection where the first three roads of the North were connected. Then, rice farming fields in the suburb were rapidly changed to be urban areas to accommodate the increasing growth. In 1921, the rail route was further developed after the construction of Khun Tan Tunnel to reach Chiang Mai. Thus, Lampang became a centre of goods from Bangkok to be distributed to destinations in the North, and vice versa. As a result, the Sop Tui trade district flourished. Beautiful ancient buildings in the area remain as architectural heritage and the symbol of Lampang prosperities in the pass.