Catagorize: Historical Houses
Contact: 6 Ratwatthana Road, Tambon Wiang Nuea, Amphoe Mueang, Lampang Tel. +66 5422 7653, +668 6910 7408
This wooden house comprises up to 116 teak posts–‘Sao’ in Thai, so it is called Ban Sao Nak (‘Nak’ means “many” in the local dialect). Built in 1895 by Mong Chan-ong, the founder of the Chantharawirot family, this traditional Thai teak house is a mixed art of Burmese and Lanna styles as its roof and structure are in the Lanna style, whereas the verandahs around the house are a Burmese reflection. The house comprises the core building and satellite small houses with 116 supporting wooden posts. In front of the house, there is a beautiful 133-year-old tree called Saraphi. In the past, Ban Sao Nak was a reception house for the city’s guests, and also used for ‘Khan Tok’ northern-style receptions and auspicious ceremonies.