Catagorize: Landmarks and Memorials
Contact: Amphoe Mueang, Mae Hong Son Tel. -
Phraya Singhanatracha Memorial
Phraya Singhanatracha Memorial is located at the beginning of Khunlumprapas Road, near an intersection leading up to Wat Doi Kong Mu. Phraya Singhanatracha or Chan Ka Lay was a Tai Yai man born in 1826 in a town of Shan state in Burma. In 1856, an unrest in Shan made Chan Ka Lay decide to move to Pang Village and live with a man named Pa Ka Mong. Chan Ka Lay is diligent, brave, smart and honest and helped a great deal of Pa Ka Mong’s work. Pa Ka Mong loved Chan Ka Lay as his own son and gave his daughter, Sai, to be his wife.
Later, Chan Ka Lay along with his family gathered a group of people and formed a village named, Goon Yuam (Khun Yuam District nowadays.) He was regarded by the villagers as a good man who was capable of leading the village. They appointed him to be the village head. Goon Yuam was later elevated into a town. Therefore, Chan Ka Lay was the first governor of Goon Yuam town. He ruled and brought prosperity to the town for 8 years until in 1874 when the town was renamed into Mae Hong Son and King Inthawichayanon, the ruler of Chiang Mai, appointed him as Phraya Singhanatracha, the first ruler of Mae Hong Son. He ruled the town for ten years and died when he was 58 years old in 1884.
Phraya Singhanatracha Memorial is a monument commemorating the first ruler of Mae Hong Son who built and developed the city. The monument is built to remind people of his good deeds and to be a spot for people to come and pay respect to him. The area around the monument is beautifully landscaped with garden. Looking up from Phraya Singhanatracha Memorial, you will see the pagoda of Phra That Doi Kong Mu located on top of the hill.