Catagorize: Royal Project, Research and Development, Museums
Walai Rukhavej Botanical Research Institute
Located west of Phra That Na-dun (the relic stupa), Walai Rukhavej Botanical Research Institute serves as a research center on conserving, improving, and distributing regional flora. The institute houses a number of interesting attractions within its premises, such as the bamboo garden, the herbal museum and the Isan traditional house museum.
The origin of Walai Rukhavej Botanical Research Institute dates back to 1987 when Maha Sarakham University, formerly known as Srinakharinwirot University (Maha Sarakham campus), and Maha Sarakham province joined hands in establishing the Botanical Garden and the Center of Information on Isan Plants. The institute aims to conserve and expand varieties of indigenous plants in the northeastern region. Moreover, the institute disseminates information and provides trainings regarding the conservation of natural resources to students and general public. In the initial stage, the Botanical Graden’s operating area was given by Kerng subdistrict council. It was a public utility area spreading over 270 Rai in Kud Daeng, Ban Kerng, Kerng subdistrict, Mueang district, Maha Sarakham province. That piece of land has been used as a venue to collect plants and was called “the Botanical Garden and the Center of Information on Isan Plants.”
Later HRH Princess Chulabhorn Mahidol has given a new name “Walai Rukhavej garden” to the garden on 28 September 1988. Due to its great success, Maha Sarakham province asked for permission from the university to expand the operating area. The province willingly granted a public utility area of 650 Rai in Khok Dong Keng, Na Dun district, Maha Sarakham province. The total estimate cost for the first 4 years of the project from 1989 – 1992 was 20,689,520 Baht. This amount of money was financially supported by the Isan Khiao project. Afterward, the university decided to elevate the status of the project to be one of the univeristy’s institutes. Therefore, HRH Princess Chulabhorn Mahidol kindly named it “Walai Rukhavej Botanical Research Institute” on 22 October 1992 and officially announced on the Government Gazette on 7 September 1993.
For further information, please contact the research and operation building, 2nd floor, Kham Riang subdistrict, Kantharawichai district, Maha Sarakham province, 44150 or call 0-437-54407 ext. 1741 – 1746 or email: email@example.com.