Catagorize: Other religious & spiritural sites
Contact: Saran Chai Kong Road on the bank of Mekong River on the north of Wat Sri Mongkol Tai. Tel. -
Chao Mae Song Nang Shrine is located on Saran Chai Kong Road on the bank of Mekong River on the north of Wat Sri Mongkol Tai. Originally, this shrine was built of wood before it was renovated into concrete. As the legend said, around 1353, Chao Fah Ngoom, the Lan Chang Ruler and his family evacuated along the Mekong River pass Nong Kai, Nakornpanom to Mookdaharn. His ship sank around the Pak Huay Mookda area which made both of his daughter, Pimpa and Lompa, died.
Until 1770, Chao Kinnaree built the Mookdaharn province together with Wat Sri Mongkol Tai. During the construction, he found a steel statue under the soil (the location of Chao Mae Song Nang Shrine). Therefore, he invited this statue and put it at Wat Sri Mongkol Tai. Unbelievably, on the next day, the statue was back at where it was founded. Therefore, the villagers called this statue “Phra Lhub Lhek”. On the 11th waxing moon of the 6th lunar month of every year, the villagers heard a weeping of two girls and it was believed to be Pimpa and Lompa’s. After Chao Kinnaree had known about the history, he built a shrine for the spirit of both girls in 1772 and called it “Chao Mae Song Nang Shrine”. The villagers hold a worshipping ceremony for this shrine on May of every year.
The Mookdaharn people considered this shrine sacred together with the Chao Por Fah Moong Muang Shrine. Therefore, most people usually worship them together. On the Visakabucha Day of every year, the Mookdaharn people hold a worshipping ceremony for both shrines.