Wat Khian Khet or known by the general public as “Wat Khian” is at Mu 2, Bueng Yitho sub-district, Thanyaburi district, Pathum Thani province along the Rangsit Prayunsak canal next to Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Road. It was built in 1896 by Lady Khian, the wife of Phra Worawongse Thoe Phra Ong Chao Sai Sanitwongse, who donated land for building the temple. Initially, the temple was a house of priests led by Luang Pho Dam. It was built by using easily found materials such as polished bamboo as roof and grass as walls. Lady Khian and her relatives along with local people realized hardship of monks and novices, who stayed at the temple. They therefore donated money to build six Thai style monks’ houses to serve as a Buddhist property. The temple was named “Wat Sali Khetaram” that means “the temple of rice merit place” (it was unknown who gave this name) because the temple is in Thung Luang Rangsit filed that is full of rice seedlings and food grains. Luang Pho Dam became the first abbot of the temple.
In 1892, Lady Khian asked for the king’s granting of the land on March 6, 1892 (Rattanakosit Era 121). In 1917, Somdet Phra Maha Samana Chao Krom Phraya Wachirayanwarorot Sakon Maha Sangha Parinayok went to stay at the temple while he was being on the tour of clergy’s inspection in Thanyaburi province (at that time). Commandant M.R. Suwaphan (Yai) Sanitwong and General Chao Phraya Wongsanupraphat (M.R. Sathan Sanitwong) asked for the permission to change the name of the temple to honour the initiator (Lady Khian, mother). After considering that Lady Khian was the initiator of building the temple by donating her own money and land, Somdet Phra Maha Samana Chao Krom Phraya Wachirayanwarorot changed its name from “Wat Salikhetaram” to “Wat Khian Khet” as defined as “the temple of Lady Khian’s merit”. Wat Khian Khet (royal temple) has been historically important in Thanyaburi district since the absolute monarchy period. It was used as taking an oath of allegiance, in which the Thanyaburi governor took government officials from Rangsit, Khlong, Nong Suea and Lam Lukka districts to drink the oath water at Ubosot Wat Khian Khet presided by Phra Khru Thanyakhet Khemakon (Luang Pu Chang), its abbot at the time.
The temple is important because it was built by the Sanitwongse family who donated money for renovating it. Later, the members of the royal family of the current king came here to offer Kathin cloth to the temple, which is deemed as the great royal grace.