Catagorize: Historical Sites & Monuments
Contact: Amphoe Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
The walls of inner Ayutthaya kingdom own a long history since in beginning of the kingdom in 1350, firstly built as a moat-and-mound (motte-and-bailey) enclosure topped with a wall of wooden pillars by King U Thong, the kingdom’s first reign. They were later replaced by brick structures, for better endurance, in the reign of King Maha Chakraphat. Through the chronicles of its era, a number of fortresses were added to maintain high protection of the kingdom, with major ones rest at strategic spots at joints of waterways such as Pom Phet (Phet Fort) at the spot where Chao Phraya and Pasak rivers meet and Pom Maha Chai (Mahachai Fort) near Chanthara Kasem Palace.