Catagorize: Landmarks and Memorials
Contact: Mueang District Tel. 0
Phraya Surin Pakdee Srinarong Jangwang (Pum) is the first Pratayosman (Surin) ruler. He was the one who planned the foundation of Surin. In the Ayudhaya Kingdom, there was a group of Thai people called Suay or Guay or Gui, which were an expert in training wild elephants, evacuated to settle down in Surin. Then, in year 1759, a white elephant escaped into the forest and the King of Ayudhaya at that time wanted to track the elephant back. Chiang Pum who is the leader of the Suay group helped the King and the King appointed him as Luang Surinpakdee and let him rule the village which was under the Pimai city.
Then, in year 1763, Luang Surinthorn Pakdee moved from the village to Baan Kupratai or Baan Pratayosman. Then he was appointed Phra Surinthornpakdee Srinarong Jangwang and changed Baan Kupratai to Muang Pratayosman.
In year 1781, the Cambodia had a riot and Muang Pratayosman sent an army to join with the royal army. Therefore, there were many Khmer who evacuated to settle down at Muang Pratayosman.
In year 1786, the King Rama I ordered to change the name of Pratayosman to Muang Surin according to the city ruler.
In year 1794, Phraya Surinthornpakdee passed away. A monument was built as a dedication to the ruler. The monument is located at the entrance of Surin province, on the south of the 0 kilometer milestone on Surin-Prasat road. This area used to be the inner city of Surin. The monument was built with brass and 2.2 meters high. On the right hand of the monument, the ruler is holding a scythe which refers to his ability to train the elephants and also a signal to show that Surin has been the city of elephants since the ancient time. The ruler also carries two swords on his shoulder which refers to his bravery that has been descended to the Surin people. This monument had an opening ceremony on 13th April 1985.