Contact: - Tel. 0 4524 3770, 0 4525 0714
Wat Chaeng is an ancient temple, located on Sapphasit Road, Nai Mueang Sub-district, Mueang District, Ubon Ratchathani Province. It is said about the temple’s history that the temple was built in 1888, during the reign of King Rama V, according to the idea of Chao Ratchabut (Nhukham), one of Aya Si group or the rulers of Ubon Ratchathani at that time. Inside Wat Chaeng, there is an important construction—the ordination hall. Its establishment was completed around 1912. This building is praised to have beautiful shape and authentically local art of carved woodwork, which is more and more rare.
The ordination hall of Wat Chaeng or Sim Wat Chaeng, is an architecture in Northeastern style. Its plan is a rectangular with 6 meters wide, 15 meters long, and 10 meters tall, facing eastwards. The building is mortared and bricked with three windows on each side of the walls. A wall at the back is built stiflingly. The only staircase is at the front with handrail made of stucco into a picture of crouched crocodile. The pediment is made of carved wood in traditional pattern mixed with central region’s Thai pattern and the very top of it is the pictured of Indra riding on Erawan elephant. The roof of the ordination hall has only one level. It was roofed with wood tiles and was changed into baked clay tiles later. The decoration of the roof consists of Phra Rai (bird wing), Ruai Lamyong without Naga structure (Mon Ruai Raka), Chofah (Ngo), Bai Raka, and Hang Hong in Northeastern style. Its special feature is that it is made into the shape of Naga’s head with the crest flipping at the end like the gold flame.
The ordination hall of Wat Chaeng has been renovating but still reserving its condition like the original one as much as possible. Its beauty of authentic Northeastern art and its historical value make this building become the destination of all the tourists who visit Wat Chaeng in Ubon Ratchathani Province.