Contact: Amphoe Muang, Ubon Ratchathani Tel. -
Wat Maha Wanaram was originally called Wat Pa Luang Maneechotsrisawat or Wat Pa Yai. It is the monastery of Ubon Ratchthai located on Saphasit Road, Muang sub-district, Muang Ubon Ratchathani district, in Ubon Ratchathani province.
It was built by Phra Pathum Worraraj Suriyawong (King Tao Khum Phong), the first governor of Ubon. The temple is located on the Mun River bank called Wat Luang to be the center of Buddhist activities.
When the chief monk had moved in there, he suggested that the temple was suitable for house not for practicing Dharma. Therefore, the place was relocated to Pa Dong U Pung near Sapang swamp in 1779. The place was named Wat Pa Luang Maneechotsrisawat. Unfortunately, Phra Pathum Worraraj Suriyawong passed away in 1795 before making the place a monastery. In 1805, the second town governor, Phra Prom Worraraj Suriyawong (King Tid Prom) had Viharns and monk residence constructed within Wat Pa Luang Maneechotsrisawat in 1807. Local people called the place Wat Nong Ta Pong or Nong Sra Pung following the swamp’s name (the record of the temple’s construction period carved on the left side of King Indra Pang Statue was in 1807). The first head monk of the temple was Phra Maharaj Krusri Satthamawongsa; he also the one who constructed Phra Jao Yai In Plaeng which is Wichai Mudra posture.
In 1941, the name was changed into Wat Maha Wan or Wat Pa Yai and renamed again to Wat Maha Naram keeping the same meaning which was the big Buddha temple. It was titled to a monastery on 31st May 1978.
The most important holy object of this temple is Phra Jao Yai In Plaeng which is Wichai Mudra posture, made of limestone and covered with gold, in Laos art style, and considered as the sacred Buddha image of Ubon Ratchathani. The Buddha image is 3 meters wide and 5 meters high covered with lacquor.