Wat Photisomphon (royal temple) is located on Pho Niyom Road, at 22 Mak Khaeng sub-district, Mueang district, Udon Thani province to the west of Nong Prachak. Its total area is 40 rai. Its abbot is Phra Udomyan Moli (Chansi Chanthathipo. On May 7, 1964, the Rama King gave a permission to let Wat Phothisomphon become a royal temple.
The construction of the temple started in the Rattanakosin Period. In 1906, it was built in the late reign of King Rama V. Maha Ammat Tri Phraya Sisuriyaratchawaranuwat (Phothi Netiphothi), Lord Lieutenant of the Udon Circle thought that there was only one temple that is “Wat Matchimawat” in Udon Thani Municipality, so he surveyed an area in the south of “Nong Na Kluea” that is a large pond full of rock salt, fish and crocodiles. Later, its name was changed to “Nong Prachak” to commemorate Krom Luang Phra Prachaksilapakhom, the founder of Udon Thani. He thought that it was a proper place for constructing a temple because it is quiet, not far from the village and near water sources. After people selected the place, Phraya Sisuriyaratchawaranuwat (Pho Netipho) persuaded the villagers of Mak Khaeng to clear the forest so that dwelling structures and a pavilion could be built. The construction took around one year. Initially, the people called it “Wat Mai” because in the past only Wat Matchimawat was called “Wat Kao”. Traces were found that it was a deserted temple and there were a laterite pagoda as well as white stone Buddha image. Phra Khru Thammawinyanuyut (Nu), monk dean of Udon Thani town from Wat Matchimawat was invited to become the abbot.
Significant sacred objects include:
1.Golden Buddha image in the gesture of Subduing Mara (Luang Pho Phra Buddha Ratsami). The long measure of Buddha statue is 1.55 m wide and 2.30 m high. It is 600 years in the Sukhothai Period. It is the principal Buddha image in the ordination hall. It also contained the relics.
2.Laterite Buddha image in the gesture of blessing is 95 cm high and 24 cm wide in the Ayutthaya Period, aged about 1,300. It is located behind the ordination hall. It is respected by Udon Thani people who always come to ask for wishes.
3.Phra Si Maha Pho is a tree the government of Sri Lanka gave to the Thai government when Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram was the prime minister. It was planted in 1951.
4.Footprint image is made of laterite and more than 100 years old.
5.Tripitaka cabinet was built in 1929 under the name of His Royal Highness Prince Mahidol of Songkla.
6.Phra Baromathat Chedi
Website: http:// http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=95&lg=1